Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Arrogant Sushi Chef

Have you ever been to sushi places that the chef is just so fool of himself ? I've been to a few sushi restaurants where the chef is so arrogant despite the fact that the food is only mediocre or even bad. I would have guess that some of the arrogance derived from the nobility of being a sushi chef, and from observing the ignorance and idiotic behavior of a few customers. These customers, as I have witnessed, would express disgust to some of the food that might have been unfamiliar to them, and sometimes they would struggle to eat their food. For example, I have seen a few customers, at different times, struggle to eat sushi by hand and dropped all the rice into the soy sauce. Then they tried to eat the rice with their fingers and palms. It wasnt a pretty sight for my appetite. Being arrogant toward those inexperienced are fine but from my observations, most of the customers are civilized and smart enough to properly eat sushi. Whatever the reasons are, regarding the arrogance of some sushi chefs, I can deal with the ones that actually makes good sushi. I believe that they have a right to be arrogant, only if they are good enough to be. The ones that doesnt have the skills but still are egotistic should be called Cocky instead.

An example: Sushi Nozawa is a small sushi restaurant near The Universal Studio. The place is poorly decorated and the food is very mediocre. Yet, there are cocky signs all over the place saying something like "Trust us." Despite of what I think, the place is still full pacted every night and the Zagat Survey still ranked them number 1. I could never understand why......

No comments: